Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Inspiration: The Cat's Meow (2001)


If you are, like me, utterly fascinated by the roaring 1920s, you have to watch The Cat's Meow. Based on real events, the film takes place in 1924, on a yacht trip attended by a bunch of wealthy people, from starlets to tycoons - a world of gossip, jealousy, betrayal, scandal, lovers and suspects. As expected, secrets get exposed and the private party is eventually interrupted by tragedy.
This Hollywoodesque murder mystery is exquisitely brightened up by Caroline de Vivaise's costume design - Coco Chanel-inspired pyjamas, nautically themed outfits, dapper flapper dresses, à la garçonne looks, rounded sunglasses, charming three-piece suits, glamourous gloves and neutral colours like black, white and cream. Kirsten Dunst looks ravishing in her portrayal of silent actress Marion Davies, with her heavenly beauty, blond curly bob and fabulous charleston dance moves. Ugh, she's adorable!

14 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this movie in so long! I may just need to watch it this weekend; I forgot how great it is. All of those still frames are absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. um para a lista de espera! parece muito interessante :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen this movie or even heard of it until now!! I'll have to check it out. I love anything set in the 20's... swoon...

    http://thepersephonecomplex.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Parece que o casting para os papéis masculinos não correu lá muito bem....nada onde o olhar deva repousar...;-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Estou um bocado chateada por não ter conhecimento deste filme, tanto shame on me <.<

    ReplyDelete
  6. Não conhecia o filme, mas anos 20 decerteza que é fantástico! Tenho que ver :)

    Giveaway <3 SHE WALKS Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kiki my love. Tenho de ver este filme, mesmo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want to see this movie! It looks awesome.

    x Dawn
    www.wickedlypleasant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe I've never seen it. It's definitely on my list now. These are enchanting screen captures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to see this, I am in love with Kiki, and that's Ed-Fucking Herrmann! Did you ever see him in the Lost boys?! Best thing ever.

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kirsten was my first girl crush, I'll never get over her completely.

    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Omg I HAVE to watch that movie! It's on my list now. ;)

    www.joanofjuly.com

    ReplyDelete